These healthy date breakfast cookies are loaded with dates, shredded coconut, and oats and make the perfect companion for your morning coffee.
Healthy Date Breakfast Cookies
I hate to play favorites, but when it comes to a healthy, satisfying morning go-to, these date breakfast cookies take the cake.
My gang can’t get enough of them, so I’ve been making double batches on repeat.
They make a fitting morning snack, an easy lunch box grab, and a healthy dessert / late-night craving fix.
What’s to love about these healthy breakfast cookies?
- One bowl, quick and easy. Grab a whisk and cookie scoop, and you’ll have these guys in the oven in no time.
- Healthy! Because we can all use a tasty snack recipe that is made with feel-good ingredients. Chopped dates and a minimal amount of sugar provide the requisite sweetness.
- Adaptable to whatever’s in your pantry. I use coconut sugar, but you can easily swap for brown sugar or honey. I also use a combination of flours in this recipe, but they can be swapped for all-purpose or other flours that you might have on hand.
How to make these healthy breakfast cookies:
Let’s talk about snacks, baby.
Full disclosure, I went on a snack-making bender last month, and it brought me A LOT of joy.
My snack-making blitz involved large batches of these delicious energy balls, these healthy muffins, and these—plus a couple of new recipes that will find their way to this site shortly (stay tuned!).
Having healthy, homemade, school lunch-ready snacks at arm’s length makes my morning lunch-making routine a little less of a scramble, which is why I like a freezer full of easy to grab snacks—like these healthy date breakfast cookies.
I’m truly fascinated by the meal planning of others, so please share in the comments below any tricks, tips, or go-to snacks that simplify your morning routine. On this note, you should know that I rarely have a conversation with my mom or girlfriends that doesn’t include the question “so what are you making for dinner?”.
Ok, I feel like we know each other a little better now.
I should also share that serving these breakfast cookies with a small pat of butter while still warm from the oven is a solid decision. Just saying.
If you give these date breakfast cookies a try, let me know in the comments below—I love to hear from you!
Looking for more date recipes? Try these fan favs.
Healthy Date Breakfast Cookies
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp molasses sub: maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar sub: brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut flour sub: all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milled ground flaxseed sub: bran, wheat germ, or buckwheat
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup pitted dates roughly chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk oil, egg, vanilla, yogurt, milk, molasses, and coconut sugar until smooth.
- Stir in remaining dry ingredients until well combined. Fold in chopped dates. Note, the batter will be thick, almost cookie-like.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or spoon), place onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.