The best, most scrumptious date carrot muffins — my family’s ABSOLUTE favorite. We make these moist, sweet, and healthy-ish muffins ALL THE TIME. They are just that yummy. Plus, they’re nut-free and perfect for popping into school lunches.
It’s time to introduce you to my family’s favorite muffin recipe—these oh so yummy, date carrot muffins. They are THE BEST MUFFINS and we make them over and over (and over) for good reason. I guarantee these moist and sweet (and sort of healthy-ish) muffins won’t linger around your kitchen for long.
About these healthy date carrot muffins
Ok, let’s get down to business.
These muffins are very moist (as all good muffins should be), thanks to the combination of finely grated carrot, chopped dates, and a full cup of milk.
The sweet mixture of carrot, dates, brown sugar, and cinnamon will make you feel like you’re having a ‘treat,’ when really, you’re only using a half cup of sugar and a quarter cup of oil (high fives)—not bad when comes to muffin recipes.
You can make these carrot muffins even healthier by swapping the brown sugar for coconut sugar. I use this brand. The flavor is lovely and no one will notice the difference. I also occasionally swap out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour.
And last but not least, your kitchen will smell a-mazing. Just saying.
How to make date carrot muffins
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss in the chopped dates. Use your hands (really the best tool for this) to incorporate and break up any date clumps (see the pic below). Do the same with the grated carrot — toss in and mix well before adding the wet ingredients.
In a smaller bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. That’s it. Time scoop into prepared muffins tins and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If you give these healthy date carrot muffins at try, let me know in the comments below. I love to hear from you!
Looking for the best muffin recipes? Try these fan favs!
- Strawberry shortcake muffins
- Chocolate chip bran muffins
- Orange cranberry muffins
- Banana chocolate chip oatmeal muffins
Healthy Date Carrot Muffins
- 1 cup of oats (I use steel cut quick oats)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dates
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot 3 small-medium carrots
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add in dates and toss until they are well coated. Break up any date clumps.
- Repeat with the shredded carrot—add, toss to coat, no clumps!
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg with oil, milk and vanilla.
- Pour into flour mixture and stir to combine well.
- Spoon into a parchment paper lined muffins tins (about a 1/4 cup per muffin).
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!