This healthy carrot soup with ginger is bright and full of flavor. Plus, it’s made with tasty, feel-good ingredients including garlic, onion, ginger, carrots, veggie broth, fresh orange juice, and a pinch of nutmeg.
About this healthy carrot soup with ginger
Guys, this soup is simple, easy, and so delicious. It’s also velvety smooth after a little blending, and it makes the perfect companion to a green salad or sandwich. So yum.
What you need to make this soup
- Vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Two oranges
- A bay leaf
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and fresh pepper
Handy kitchen tools for making soup
- This immersion blender is what I use. It’s heavy-duty and I love the add-ons it comes with.
- For a truly smooth soup, you can’t beat using a Vitamix.
- A durable stove to oven pot / dutch oven. This 6 quart Lodge pot is the perfect size for soup making.
Garnishes for this healthy carrot soup
- A dollop of sour cream.
- A drizzle of creamy coconut milk — yes!
- Roasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Nutty hemp hearts or flax seeds for an extra healthy boost.
If you give this healthy carrot soup with ginger a try, let me know in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Check out some fan favs!
Healthy Carrot Soup with Ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1.5 lbs carrots – 4 cups – peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 900 ml vegetable broth sub: chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice 2 small oranges
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh pepper to taste
- In a large stovetop pot over medium-high heat, add oil olive. Let the oil heat up for a minute, then add in the diced onions. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic, ginger, and cook for an additional minute. Add carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- To the pot, add veggie broth, freshly squeezed orange juice, bay leaf, nutmeg, plus kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the carrots are very tender (the more tender, the smoother the soup will be once blended).
- Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth or transfer in batches to a blender (please be careful!).
- Garnish with fresh herbs, roasted seeds, sour cream, or a spoonful of thick coconut milk!
Leave a Reply