Streusel makes me happy (and soft, but mostly happy).
I had some lonely pears hanging around and found this recipe by Diana Rattray, on southernfood.about.com and it turned out too delicious not to share.
Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure my dog is out to destroy Christmas. Don’t be fooled by his cuteness. This morning I woke up to the sound of Christmas ornaments crunching.
Pear Streusel Cake
- 2 medium pears peeled and cored, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut in small pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans I didn’t have any on hand
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk whole or low fat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Toss chopped pears with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine streusel ingredients, except pecans, with a fork until crumbly, or pulse with food processor. Stir in pecans, if using.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and stir in milk, vanilla, and butter.
- Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture and combine just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared loaf pan; spread out to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle batter with half of the pears and half of the streusel.
- Spoon the remaining batter evenly over streusel, spreading carefully to cover.
- Sprinkle with half of the remaining streusel, the remaining chopped pears and then the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife carefully around sides; invert the cake onto plate. Turn the cake, streusel side up, onto a rack and let cool on a rack completely. Enjoy.
Mary Van kampen
Love this recipe. I added some apple in even better!