These lemon squares with a shortbread crust are a sweet, tart, delicious treat, made with seven easy ingredients. The lemon filling is smooth and thick and sits on a flaky, buttery shortbread crust.
About these lemon squares with shortbread crust
- These lemon squares are perfect for Springtime (or year-round) celebrations.
- They’re also bright, flavor-packed, and the perfect mix of sweet and tart.
- The lemon filling is extra thick and smooth, which makes these squares easy to slice.
- This recipe makes an 8 x 8-inch pan. For a larger batch, double the recipe and use a 9 x 13-inch pan.
What you’ll need for this recipe
For the shortbread base:
- Icing sugar
For the lemon square filling:
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Large eggs
- Granulated sugar
How to make lemon squares with shortbread crust
These squares are simple and quick to make. Plus, they can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator or freezer until 30 minutes before serving, which makes hosting made a little easier.
How to make shortbread crust
- To make the shortbread crust, you have two options. One, add flour, icing sugar, butter, and vanilla to a food processor and pulse until well combined and a crumbly cookie-like texture is formed. Or two, combine ingredients in a mixing bowl, using a pastry cutter and your hands to reach the same crumbly texture (like in the first two pictures above).
- Add the shortbread mixture to the pan.
- Use your fingers to gently press the mixture together, to form a solid, even crust.
- Bake the shortbread crust at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden.
How to make lemon square filling
5 – While the shortbread is baking, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and flour until well-combined and smooth.
6 – Pour the lemon filling over top of the baked crust and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is just set in the centre. Remove and let cool completely before serving.
Can I use bottled lemon juice?
No. Fresh lemons are a must!
Why do my lemon squares have a crust on top?
This happens during the baking process (but not always) due to air from the eggs rising. It’s totally normal and doesn’t affect the taste one bit. Dust the top of the squares with icing sugar to pretty them up before serving.
Should lemon bars be refrigerated?
These squares can be left out for a few hours, but any longer and they should be refrigerated. Personally, I prefer them slightly chilled.
Can you freeze lemon squares?
Yes, plus they need very little time to thaw before serving. I usually take them out of the freezer 30-45 minutes before serving.
How long do lemons squares keep?
Covered in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
If you give these lemons squares a try, let me know in the comments below. I love to hear from you!
More fresh and fruity dessert recipes!
RASPBERRY COBBLER, PIONEER STYLE
EASY HEALTHY BLUEBERRY CRISP
RASPBERRY ALMOND OAT SQUARES
ORANGE PISTACHIO CHEWY SUGAR COOKIES
Lemon Squares with Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 beaten eggs large
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor pulse flour, icing sugar, cold butter (cubed), and vanilla until the mixture has a crumbly, cookie-like texture. Alternatively, use a mixing bowl, pastry cutter, and your hands to form the same crumbly texture.
- Press the shortbread mixture firmly into a 8'' x 8'' baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden.
- While the shortcrust is baking, combine the sugar, beaten eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Whisk until smooth and well-combined.
- Pour over hot shortbread.
- Return to the oven and bake for 350 for 25-30 minutes. Until the center no longer jiggles.
- Let cool completely, before refrigerating or serving.
- Before serving, dust with icing sugar.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @mondaysundaykitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #mondaysundaykitchen!
Leave a Reply