Brussel Sprout Slaw with Cranberries, Cashews and Apples || Loaded with apples, crushed cashews, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, fresh chives and topped with a creamy, yet light, lemon tahini dressing.
Today we’re talking about slaws—moreover, what makes a GREAT slaw—because, there’s a lot of variation on the slaw spectrum, from heavy mayo-dressed slaws to straight-up cabbage, no-frills oil/vinegar slaws, and these things must be discussed. Side note, I want to hear what you like—creamy, not creamy? Let me know in the comments. But first, back to the slaw discussion and my go-to brussel sprout slaw recipe.
When it comes to dressing, I’m perfectly happy somewhere in the middle. Mayonnaise? Yes, please. But let’s not go crazy. I don’t want a plate full of raw cabbage, overloaded with a mayo-only dressing. A mayo base, lightened up with olive oil, lemon (or vinegar), and a touch of sweetness is where I’m at. Fresh herbs are also welcome. As are thinly sliced brussel sprouts in place of cabbage, and unlikely add-ins, like the tahini in my go-to recipe.
Another hard no? Thickly sliced/chopped cabbage. Raw cabbage is way too sturdy. For best results, slice as thinly as possible.
About this brussel sprout slaw with cranberries, cashews and apples:
Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m down for traditional coleslaw/slaw any day of the week, but when making my own, I like to change things up. My favorite recipe of late is this super crunchy brussel sprout slaw that’s full of flavor and lightly dressed. It’s loaded with apples, crushed cashews, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, fresh chives and topped with a creamy, yet light, lemon tahini dressing.
While I’m all about the brussel sprouts in this slaw, they do take a little extra time prepping. If you’re time-pressed, check out the salad section of your supermarket for a bag of already sliced sprouts. Or swap the sprouts for quickly chopped cabbage.
Brussel Sprout Slaw with Cranberries, Cashews and Apples
- 4 cups brussel sprouts washed, halved and very finely sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews crushed or chopped
- 2 tbsp roasted sun flower seeds
- 1 apple washed, quartered and chopped into bites
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tsp honey
- juice of half a lemon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine thinly sliced brussel sprouts with cashews, sunflower seeds, chopped apple, cranberries, and chives.
- In a small mason jar, add dressing ingredients and shake vigorously until smooth and creamy.
- Stir dressing into slaw until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!