With my little guy now crawling, baking has fallen off my priority list— he now gets into everything. All the time. I spend most of my days in hot pursuit, repeating ‘No! Not the wires! No! Stop pulling on Buster’s ears!’… This new mobility is exhausting.
Yesterday morning, with H off swimming with dad, I made this blueberry streusel cake and it is ever so delicious….in fact it’s calling me back for another piece. The recipe is from Donalyn Ketchum. Her recipe called for rhubarb, which I think would have been delicious, but all I had lingering in my fridge begging to be used were a few cups of blueberries. Next time I’ll try with rhubarb.
Blueberry Streusel Cake
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 3 cups of fresh blueberries or rhubarb
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ingredients for the streusel topping and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to the sugar mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk (add 1/2 cup buttermilk in between dry ingredients).
- Fold in blueberries (or your choice of seasonal fruit). Pour blueberry/batter mixture into a greased 9 x 13” baking dish.
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until puffy and very golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy.
Leave a Reply