These wholesome chocolate chip bran muffins are made with wheat bran, flour, maple syrup, molasses, egg, vanilla, vegetable oil, milk, and chocolate chips. Perfect for mornings on the go and easy afternoon snack time.
About these chocolate chip bran muffins
These tasty muffins are:
- Made with fiber-loaded wheat bran.
- Naturally sweetened, using maple syrup (my go-to sweetener) and molasses.
- Moist and dense, like a good muffin should be.
- Speckled with semi-sweet chocolate chips, which can easily be swapped for raisins or dried cranberries.
Chocolate chip bran muffin ingredients
- Wheat bran
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- An egg
- Vegetable oil (healthy substitution: avocado oil)
- Maple syrup (substitution: liquid honey or brown sugar)
- Milk (substitution: oat milk)
- Chocolate Chips
How to make chocolate chip bran muffins
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, grab a mixing bowl, and let’s bake!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: wheat bran, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together one large egg with the oil, milk, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Scoop the muffin batter into well-greased or parchment-lined muffins tins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden and a toothpick (or cake tester) inserted in the muffin center comes out clean.
Bran Muffin FAQ
Wheat bran is high in dietary fiber and can help with digestion. That said, the other ingredients in a bran muffin recipe dictate just how healthy they are. In this recipe, maple syrup is used in place of brown sugar, and I often use avocado oil as a healthy substitute for vegetable oil. The all-purpose flour can also be swapped out for whole wheat flour.
Chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dates, and blueberries are tasty additions!
Stored in an airtight container, bran muffins will last for up to 5 days but are always best the day they’re baked. Muffins with fresh berries keep for less time, so it’s a good idea to freeze half of the batch if you don’t plan to finish them within 2-3 days.
If you give these chocolate chip bran muffins a try, let me know in the comments below. I love to hear from you!
Looking for more muffin recipes? Try these fan favorites.
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE MUFFINS RECIPE
- OATMEAL BANANA MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- HEALTHY DATE CARROT MUFFINS
- ORANGE CRANBERRY MUFFINS
Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour healthy sub: whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil healthy sub: avocado oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or brown sugar or liquid honey
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wheat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg with the oil. Then whisk in maple syrup, molasses, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into parchment-lined (or greased) muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @mondaysundaykitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #mondaysundaykitchen!
I replaced the flour with wheat flour and some of the sugar with molasses to cut down on the sweetness and I was out of cinnamon so I didn’t use it and they turned out amazing! Great recipe!
Bri @ monday sunday kitchen
Thanks, Stephanie! Love the addition of molasses! xo Bri
Simple and Tastes delicious!!!
Didn’t use molasses and used oat bran instead of wheat bran.
Yay! Glad you enjoyed them, Sophia! Thanks for the feedback! xo Bri