Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe || Weeknight-friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and loaded with delicious Mexican seasoning, plus brown rice, chicken, black beans, corn, red pepper, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.
This easy one pan Mexican chicken and rice recipe is a brand new go-to. The whole family is excited about this one. What I’m especially loving here is the simplicity of a one pan meal that’s ready 30 minutes. Also, the mess— I mean, the lack of one. No sink full of dishes to do following this
Before we dive in, a quick, albeit important note. Make sure your skillet is large enough to accommodate all the good stuff we’re about to throw in. I use a 12 inch, 2 1/2 inch deep pan. This one to be precise.
How to make this Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté four chicken breasts in olive oil and a few pinches of chili powder and kosher salt. Let them brown for a couple of minutes on each side, then remove and set them aside for five minutes.
- Next, toss the chopped onions and minced garlic into the same pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (brown rice, chicken broth, spices, salt, beans, corn, and red pepper) to the pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Now, tuck those chicken breasts back in and let everything simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes, or until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
- Top with cheddar and fresh cilantro. Hungry mouths will be happy.
Time to serve up this yummy Mexican chicken and rice dish. Grab some lime wedges and extra cilantro—AND, if you have five minutes to spare, this lime crema makes a very delicious topper.
Side note for meatless readers, this dish is hearty enough to handle vegetarian main meal status. For extra oomph, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth, double the corn and add in a can of kidney beans…sautéed tofu would also be a nice addition. Yup can see it now.
P.S. What are your Monday to Friday go-to meals? Let me know in the comments!
Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus more if needed
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 medium medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp chili powder *plus a pinch for browning the chicken
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt *plus a good pinch for browning the chicken
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 can black beans 540 ml - drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper washed and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated — I like a mixture of orange and white
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro to serve
- In a large stove top pan, over medium-high heat, add olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and a pinch chili powder. Stir. Add chicken breasts and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Into the same pan, which will have lots of flavor from the chicken, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. If the pan becomes dry, add a dash more olive oil. If the onions and garlic begin to darken, lower the heat.
- Add in rice, spices, salt, beans, corn, red pepper and chicken broth. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan, tucking them gently into the rice mixture. Let simmer for 20 minutes (giving the mixture a gentle stir midway to ensure the rice cooks evenly) or until the chicken and rice are fully cooked.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and lime crema.