Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe || Weeknight-friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and loaded with delicious Mexican seasoning, plus brown rice, chicken, black beans, corn, red pepper, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.
This easy one pan Mexican chicken and rice recipe is a brand new go-to. The whole family is excited about this one. What I’m especially loving here is the simplicity of a one pan meal that’s ready 30 minutes. Also, the mess— I mean, the lack of one. No sink full of dishes to do following this
Before we dive in, a quick, albeit important note. Make sure your skillet is large enough to accommodate all the good stuff we’re about to throw in. I use a 12 inch, 2 1/2 inch deep pan. This one to be precise.
How to make this Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and sauté four chicken breasts, seasoned with few pinches of chili powder and kosher salt. Let them brown for a couple of minutes on each side, then remove and set them aside for five minutes (while we get everything else into the pan).
- Next, add a drizzle more olive oil to the pan (the same one used for the chicken) and toss the chopped onions and minced garlic right in. Cook for a couple of minutes (stirring with a wooden spoon).
- Add the remaining ingredients (brown rice, spices, chicken broth, salt, black beans, corn, and the chopped red pepper) to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, tuck those chicken breasts back into the rice mixture and let everything simmer on medium for 20 minutes, or until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
- Top with cheddar and fresh cilantro. Hungry mouths will be happy.
Time to serve up this yummy Mexican chicken and rice dish. Grab some lime wedges and extra cilantro—AND, if you have five minutes to spare, this lime crema makes a very delicious topper.
Side note for my meatless readers, this dish is hearty enough to handle vegetarian main meal status. For extra oomph, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth, double the corn and add in a can of kidney beans…some sautéed, and seasoned tofu would also be a nice addition.
Need more easy weeknight-friendly meals in your life? Try this creamy avocado spinach pasta and this oven-baked sweet and sour chicken.
P.S. What are your Monday to Friday go-to meals? Let me know in the comments!
Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus more as needed
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tsp chili powder *plus a few pinches to season the chicken with
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt *plus a good couple pinch for seasoning the chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth 900ml carton of broth
- 1 cup wholegrain brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup frozen or fresh sweet corn
- 1 can black beans 540 ml - drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper washed and chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro to serve
- In a large stove top pan, over medium-high heat, add a couple glugs of olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and a couple pinches of chili powder. Stir. Add chicken breasts and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Into the same pan, which will have lots of flavor from the chicken, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. If the pan becomes dry, add a dash more olive oil. If the onions and garlic begin to darken, lower the heat.
- Add in rice, spices, salt, beans, corn, red pepper and chicken broth. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan, tucking them gently into the rice mixture. Let simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes (giving the mixture a gentle stir midway to ensure the rice cooks evenly) or until the chicken and rice are fully cooked.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and lime crema.
I’m all about that one pot meal life!
Bri @ monday sunday kitchen
Right!? A total life changer! xo
Loved this as a vegetarian main meal! Switched out the chicken for some fried eggs. Yum!
Bri @ monday sunday kitchen
Yay! I’m so glad you guys enjoyed it!!! And the swap for fried eggs——genius! ?