This light and easy pasta with grilled Italian sausages and red peppers is dressed in lemon and olive oil and finished off with fresh basil, crunchy garden green beans, and parmesan.
Photos updated February 2021.
Despite a light, lemony olive oil dressing, this dish is filling and hearty. A balance of savory sausage with summertime garden veggies, and rounded out with generous amounts of fresh basil and parmesan.
This grilled Italian sausage pasta is fitting and delicious in the heat of summer—when you can fire up the BBQ, toss some sausages and peppers on and bask in the day’s remaining rays of sunshine—and in the dead of winter, when you can easily swap the grill for a roasting pan.
Beyond the tastiness of this pasta, what’s maybe most to like is the ease of a pasta dish that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
Looking for more light and easy pasta recipes?
Light and Easy Pasta with Grilled Italian Sausages and Peppers
- 4-6 mild Italian sausages grilled on the BBQ
- 1 red pepper grilled and roughly chopped
- 450 grams pasta
- bunch of fresh green beans ~ 2 cups
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 cup parmesan Reggiano finely grated -- plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp pasta water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fire up the BBQ and toss the sausages and red pepper on the grill (quarter the pepper and lightly coat with olive oil, plus a pinch of salt and pepper). The sausages and pepper should take about 20 minutes depending on your grill. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a generous pinch of salt and your pasta of choice (cook as per the package, until al dente).
- While the sausages and pasta cook, in a saucepan, and a glug of olive oil and sauté the red onion and green beans until tender—3-5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta (reserving 2 tbsp of pasta water) and toss it back into the pot. In a small bowl or mason jar, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and reserved pasta water until combined. Add the sausages (sliced), grilled pepper, red onion, green beans, parmesan, chopped basil, and the dressing to the pasta. Add salt and pepper and toss with tongs to combine.